Flats are the architectural blueprint of the garment you are making. Technical flats are a necessary step in creating a garment.
Learning to draw technical flats will help you save money and be a better designer.
This video lesson teaches you to draw flats by hand.
Flats are part of your tech pack.
Every design needs a flat sketch in order to be manufactured.
Flats serve the following purpose:
- Help you figure out how much it will cost to make
- Communicate the design by providing important information that the sample makers and manufacturers need to make your product
- Indicate the type of seams, placement of seams, number of seams, top stitching, and design features
- Indicate the number of pattern pieces, construction, and shaping of the garment
- Indicates the complexity of the garment
- Shows the trim details
- Shows the fit and intended ease of the garment
- Provide instructions and information vital in making the garment
- Help determine how much fabric and what trims need to be sourced
What you'll need for this lesson:
- Regular copy/printer paper
- Flat body template
- Ruler (see through grid ruler is best)
- Fine point pencil and eraser
You will recieve a link to watch this video lesson after making your purchase. The video will be available for you to rewatch as many times as you'd like.